It is currently May 29th, 2017, 7:40 am

Welcome
Welcome to Minute Man Dart Leagues Forums
***If your having issues with login, please delete your cookies and try again, this is a common problem*** - MMDL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!
To visit our main website MMDL.ORG

Post subject: Rule or Etiquette?
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2009, 1:34 pm 
MMDL Player

I don't see a rule but may also be skimming past it. I was always told if you bust on your throw, your turn is done and you don't throw any more darts. No practicing at the game board once the game is on. Is this a rule or just an etiquette thing?

Division Rep. Central D division.
Ready, Fire, Aim - Marlboro Amvets Post 1980

Post subject: Re: Rule or Etiquette?
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2009, 3:28 pm 
Board Member

Amazing Ronaldo wrote:
I don't see a rule but may also be skimming past it. I was always told if you bust on your throw, your turn is done and you don't throw any more darts. No practicing at the game board once the game is on. Is this a rule or just an etiquette thing?

Not sure I understand the question. If you bust your turn is over. Are you asking can the shooter throw his / her subsequent darts after the bust occurred?

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2009, 4:18 pm 
MMDL Player

Turn is over,that is a rule-the throwing of the 1 or 2 darts left over-"practice" as you called it,is not against any rules as they do not count,however-it is poor form.

RIP Mike Noble- darts= a Noble Pursuit.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2009, 7:56 pm 
MMDL Player

Yes say a player has 10 left and hits the double 5's neighbor the double 20 on the first dart. A bust. He knows it is a bust as he is told so by the scorer, but then he lines up and takes a shot with his second, then does the same with his third. Just like he is still shooting for the out.

So I take it that it is poor form but not against the rules. This was a first for me seeing this in my short 6 years playing one night. Everyone else I have ever seen would go up and take their darts out and the next player would shoot. It wasn't a big deal and I said something kiddingly but he seemed to want to look at the rules and show me it wasn't against the rules so he could do it. I thought it was just a way to either get his distance to it or slow us down. I went up and took out the out for us anyway so it didn't matter. ;)

Division Rep. Central D division.
Ready, Fire, Aim - Marlboro Amvets Post 1980

PostPosted: October 19th, 2010, 12:07 am 
MMDL Player

My team had a BIIIIG stink with someone on the opposing team a couple of weeks ago concerning this behavior. Told the guy no extra practice darts please and he whipped out the rules and wanted me to show him where it said he couldn't do it. I told him it was a general darts rule, not a MMDL-specific rule. He got snide and said, "Oh so it's YOUR rule?" I ended up getting Becky on the phone to talk to him.

This was a team captain no less, but I know of another guy who regularly does this also and it tends to turn ugly when you ask him to stop.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2010, 12:17 am 
Board Member

Extra practice darts? Was it excessive?

Flight Fighters Super A State Champions Spring 2016

PostPosted: October 19th, 2010, 11:58 am 
Board Member

ARTICLE III - MATCH PROFILE

K. WARM-UP BEFORE EACH MATCH PLAY: A Player is allowed only 4 rounds (12 darts) for practice before each match.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2010, 9:10 am 
MMDL Player

Eh...I don't see it as a big deal. Sometimes I do it...sometimes I don't. I do this, and see this done alot, when double 1 is left. Wire the double into the single on the first dart, and toss the next 2 at the double....sadly often hitting it.

I just don't see the big deal. I guess if the shooter was taking his time on each subsequent meaningless dart and truly trying to slow things down, that could be an issue. But your opponent goes to the line with 3 darts....plan on him throwing all 3. I wouldn't call this a delay. If I did this, and someone said something to me (no one EVER has) I would probably look at them funny...then consider the fact that I was clearly in this persons head, as they thought my 1 or 2 "extra" darts was going to make the difference in the match. I wouldn't do it again (though i know many who would, just to be a prick).

Here is a question that this subject just got me thinking about though. You have Double 1 left. You throw the first dart and it sails into the D18. DAMMIT! Angry, you let the next dart sail into the board and flush the D1. Little did you know the precarious seating that the 1st dart had, as it falls out of the D18 and to the floor. Have you now won? If not, why? If i hit double 1 on the first dart, but it falls before i retrieve it, it does not count, correct? Just curious. Never seen this happen...but i'm a newb....

PostPosted: October 20th, 2010, 9:24 am 
MMDL Player

This also reminds me of a funny story that happened at a Friday night LOD at the Abington PC a while back.

My partner and I (memory fails as to who that was) were playing an opening round match against Tom OC and (again, my alcohol riddled brain fails to pull a name here). We had won the 501, and moved on to cricket. The stars must have alligned properly, and the heavens shown down upon (or i had Freddy C as a partner) but we had a commanding lead in cricket. We were on the bulls and Tom's team had a few numbers open and was down points.

Tom goes up for his turn, throws his 3 darts and hits a couple of bulls i believe. I'm moving to the line to shoot, but Tommy isn't moving. He then proceeds to reach into his pocket and pull out another 3 darts and continues shooting :shock: ....then another 3 darts out of the other pocket... :shock: :shock:

We nearly hit the floor laughing. One of the funniest things i've seen in darts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: October 20th, 2010, 10:02 am 
MMDL Player

In your first example, it's a bust. You can't "un-bust" or people would be throwing like they were Aroldis Chapman trying to dislodge the dart.

LMAO at the Townhouse story I remember that..makes me wish we had the "junkyard" rule, how some places used to charge a flat fee for all you can carry out in one trip. All the darts I can carry to the line in one hand is my turn!

PostPosted: October 20th, 2010, 10:16 am 
Board Member

JTF, as soon as the bust dart hits, your turn is over, no subsequent darts count. Similarly, and this one people get confused a lot, if you hit your out double and don't know it and throw a subsequent dart, you still win. As soon as the winning double is hit, no other darts count. This is in the rules. I got burned by this many years ago and thought I busted a leg when in fact I won.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2010, 12:45 pm 
MMDL Player

GreggT wrote:
JTF, as soon as the bust dart hits, your turn is over, no subsequent darts count. Similarly, and this one people get confused a lot, if you hit your out double and don't know it and throw a subsequent dart, you still win. As soon as the winning double is hit, no other darts count. This is in the rules. I got burned by this many years ago and thought I busted a leg when in fact I won.

I hear what ur saying Gregg, and i know that is the rule. i just always found that odd, when if my game winning shot were to drop out before i retrieve the dart, then it is no longer counted.

I've actually never had this happen to me in my years of playing, as i am often asked if the guy on the other side of the wall owes me money....but i always found it curious.

Chris, you know me man...i would have to throw a freaking hand grenade to get any dart of mine to fall out!

PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 10:00 am 
MMDL Player

Chris wrote:
In your first example, it's a bust. You can't "un-bust" or people would be throwing like they were Aroldis Chapman trying to dislodge the dart.

LMAO at the Townhouse story I remember that..makes me wish we had the "junkyard" rule, how some places used to charge a flat fee for all you can carry out in one trip. All the darts I can carry to the line in one hand is my turn!

And Chris, that was a PC story. Maybe he did it at the Townhouse once too. 8-)

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 9:40 am 
Board Member

JustTheFacts wrote:
GreggT wrote:

I hear what ur saying Gregg, and i know that is the rule. i just always found that odd, when if my game winning shot were to drop out before i retrieve the dart, then it is no longer counted.

MMDL Rules wrote:
ARTICLE VII - SCORING

C. The scorekeeper must acknowledge the player's score for each turn prior to the player taking his/her thrown darts from the dartboard. For a dart to score it must remain in the board until the score has been called and acknowledged. A player must not touch or move his/her darts while they are in the board until the scorekeeper acknowledges his/her score. Touching the darts before scorekeeper's acknowledgement will result in the disqualification of that throw or turn. The Scorekeeper is not allowed to touch "Live" darts for any reason during match play.

It doesn't say anything in the rules about a player having to retrieve the dart? Example: I am scoring and you need a bull to win the leg. You hit it on the third dart and I motion to you that it is in. You won the leg! If the dart falls out before you reach it it wouldn't matter because the score keeper acknowledged the winning dart.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 11:41 am 
MMDL Player

In that case I would say via the motion you have acknowledged the hit..game shot.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 4:46 pm 
MMDL Player

So as long as the scorer never acknowledges it, as many do not acknowledge the bust unless you hesitate, i can huck my pin at the board like a madman trying (quite futily i am sure) to knock my bust out.

Cool. i am going to try this if i ever bust a number again....like that'd happen!

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 11:37 am 
Board Member

The Rule is in place to assure that you do not bust after the game has ended. Chances of a player intentionally knocking a scored dart out of the board is extremely difficult. The point is if your first dart hits the double the leg is over. I quite often shoot a second dart if the first one is too close to tell, above the wire. Sometimes it is easier than interrupting your rhythm by asking the score keeper. Too me to "huck my pin at the board like a madman trying (quite futily i am sure) to knock my bust out" is unacceptable at any time with any shot. Better chance of having the dart pop off the board and hurt the scorer than actually budging the bust shot.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2010, 11:20 am 
MMDL Player

DanD wrote:
The Rule is in place to assure that you do not bust after the game has ended. Chances of a player intentionally knocking a scored dart out of the board is extremely difficult. The point is if your first dart hits the double the leg is over. I quite often shoot a second dart if the first one is too close to tell, above the wire. Sometimes it is easier than interrupting your rhythm by asking the score keeper. Too me to "huck my pin at the board like a madman trying (quite futily i am sure) to knock my bust out" is unacceptable at any time with any shot. Better chance of having the dart pop off the board and hurt the scorer than actually budging the bust shot.

Dan, completely sarcastic bro. COME ON!!!!!

PostPosted: October 26th, 2010, 2:36 pm 
Board Member

I know you were being sarcastic, but someone will take you seriously. I think you would be surprised at some of the things we hear. :)

PostPosted: March 30th, 2016, 12:31 pm 
MMDL Player

So what about this situation in a 301 a shooter has 8 left- they aim at the double 4 but hit a single 18 that is actually barely in, dangling and it falls out of the board say 2 -3 seconds after it landed- the shooter then throws his third dart and hits the double 4 - does he win? or does the single 18 burn him? - this actually happened by the way.
the shooter won the game