It is currently May 29th, 2017, 7:38 am

Welcome
Welcome to Minute Man Dart Leagues Forums
***If your having issues with login, please delete your cookies and try again, this is a common problem*** - MMDL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!
To visit our main website MMDL.ORG

Post subject: Sand baggers in "E" !!!!!
PostPosted: February 15th, 2010, 5:28 pm 
MMDL Player

I'm here to shoot and have a good time, besides the people that don't obviouslly follow any of the leagues commandments/ edicate !!!! whats being done about the sandbaggers coming down from "B" and "C" running the boards ? I heard back in the day players who got moved down would have to sit out a year or two is this still the case ?

2nd yr "E" Shooter

Post subject: Re: Sand baggers in "E" !!!!!
PostPosted: February 16th, 2010, 12:05 pm 
Board Member

Thanks for your concern. You should have posted this in the "League Talk" or "Ask the Board of Directors" forums. In any event, if you have concerns about the competitive makeup of your division, you should speak directly with your area director about it. Their contact info is listed on the outside of your team's captain's kit.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 9:48 am 
MMDL Player

kmastercarpentr wrote:
I'm here to shoot and have a good time, besides the people that don't obviouslly follow any of the leagues commandments/ edicate !!!! whats being done about the sandbaggers coming down from "B" and "C" running the boards ? I heard back in the day players who got moved down would have to sit out a year or two is this still the case ?

2nd yr "E" Shooter

I understand your frustration, and believe me, the BOD tries their best to keep this from happening. Sandbagging has been going on for over 20 years, and there really isn't a sure fire way to prevent it.
Gregg, correct if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression any team, no matter what level is allowed to have a higher skilled player or two on their team. I have known players who played in my division, S.A. go down to C division, just so they can play with their friends.

As for back in the day, players having to sit out a year for moving down, I have never heard this rule in the 20 years of playing in the MMDL. That does not mean it isn't so, I just have never heard of it.

My best advice for you is to either practice to get better, and beat these people, or recruit your own sandbaggers, and even things up a bit. Or as Gregg said, talk to your area Rep. and see if anything can be done.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 10:22 am 
MMDL Player

I play "C" and a team we've played a few times has 2 guys that will bang Trip20's all night long. Each throw several Tons in their 601 & 301 aswell as ring up the cricket points if you don't close your 20's. Although I don't agree with Chitown suggesting bringing in your own sandbaggers I do agree with practice, get better and beat them. I have'nt beat them yet but I came close once,lol. I had 38 left and he went out on the T40. Everydog has his day.

"There's a big difference between playing darts and standing at the line looking like an idiot!"

PostPosted: April 13th, 2010, 12:31 pm 
MMDL Player

T, "Semper Fi" brother....
How have you've been? I sat a few seasons out. Coming back this Summer.
Sharkey.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 8:20 am 
MMDL Player

kmastercarpentr wrote:

2nd yr "E" Shooter

Hey kmaster. I feel you, but it's part of the game. The league does it's best to recognize teams that are of a higher caliber but sometimes a team has a couple players on it that could hang in B division but the rest of them are absolute rookies. It's just the way it goes and you will notice a lot of inconsistancies with teams at this level. You could draw someone that you annhilate one week and then the next week draw an ace that demolishes you. Curious as to what sub division you are in. I'm in SSE3 and I see just a handful of high caliber players, many of which are on my own team, some intermidiate players with the bulk of players being novices.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2010, 11:30 am 
MMDL Player

I have a sandbagging solution.

Teeny Weeny trophies in lower divisions.

The higher the division, the bigger the trophy.

The problem is, there is no incentive to move to a higher division other than personal pride of the player.

The league knows, or at least has access to and SHOULD know, who the sandbaggers are. As an A Division player in Lowell and Minuteman for 23 years, it makes me laugh to see people I used to play against who were excellent players 'playing with their friends in D division.'

This is ridiculous. I've laughed right in their face.

But the league is desperate for teams because MADD has done such a 'great' job, and everyone is scared sheit-less to drive. So instead of the 1200 teams we used to have, we have...what? 550?

If MMDL actually enforced any kind of 'ban' on sandbaggers, the league would shrink to nothing.

You have to incentivize THEM to WANT to move up. And NOBODY is going to get a thrill out of hoisting a tiny D division trophy over their head.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 3:10 pm 
MMDL Player

Trouble wrote:
I play "C" and a team we've played a few times has 2 guys that will bang Trip20's all night long. Each throw several Tons in their 601 & 301 aswell as ring up the cricket points if you don't close your 20's. Although I don't agree with Chitown suggesting bringing in your own sandbaggers I do agree with practice, get better and beat them. I have'nt beat them yet but I came close once,lol. I had 38 left and he went out on the T40. Everydog has his day.

I agree, practicing more is the better answer, and no, I don't like to promote sandbagging, but as the old saying goes, if you want to get rid of a mouse, get a cat.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 7:05 pm 
MMDL Player

Why have different skill-divisions if the (better) answer is 'practice more'?

Member 'Right in the Eye' (Spirit Bar, Somerville)

PostPosted: May 4th, 2010, 3:00 pm 
MMDL Player

dph wrote:
Why have different skill-divisions if the (better) answer is 'practice more'?

Because the skill divisions are based on the team and not on one individual highly skilled player on that team. That one player alone can't carry the whole team because they can only play in three games a night, so the division placement has to be based on the team not on one individual. :)

Division Rep. Central D division.
Ready, Fire, Aim - Marlboro Amvets Post 1980

PostPosted: September 5th, 2011, 1:32 pm 
MMDL Player

I shoot in A and don't have any reason to drop down to another division because I'd probably just get bored. That being said, what can you do if your team breaks up or something? It's not like in the central you can just go to a dart bar and get recruited by a high level team... In fact, the only dart bar that I've found recently is a bar with a "D" team (I think). So I shoot with those guys once in a while. Now if my team were to break up because people move, get married, have kids ect... We often times have to drive 40 minutes or more to get to our matches, so I'm certainly not going to play out of one of THOSE home bars. What option would a player like me have? Exactly. Find a local team and shoot for them. (And for me, the dart scene in Providence is WAY bigger than it is in my area). Should the whole team be penalized for it? No. I think the league has to take some responsibility and try to promote the league better. To work to establish at least one dart bar to help with GROWING THE LEAGUE as well as RECRUITMENT. Otherwise you're going to see this happen more and more until we're back down to just a few divisions.